Saturday 23 February 2008

Road Sense Sally - Have a lesson


Last weekend I embarked on a spot of cycle training and what a thoroughly enjoyable and fruitful experience it was. Liz, my local instructor, arranged to meet me at a park a stones throw from my house. She talked to me about my level of cycling and what I wanted to get out of the lesson and proceeded to tailor the 2 hour session to my needs. We started off with some bike control exercises (pictured above the Hi-5) and thanks to Liz, I finally understood how my gears work! (in the past I have been a bit of a girl and just moved them up and down hoping for the best)
As I cycled away after the lesson to meet a friend for coffee I felt noticeably empowered about my right as a cyclist and felt entitled to take more space on the road. It was both an eye opener and a confidence booster and the bill was kindly picked up by Hammersmith and Fulham, who fund all the cycle training in the borough.
I would recommend a cycling lesson to both those starting out and those who have cycled for a while but do still have a few questions. Contact Cycle Training UK for more details and to find out if you are eligible for funding.
More advice on road safety coming soon to cyclechic.co.uk

1 comment:

cyclemaniac: said...

Thank you for this .. your kind public service.